We communicate with our learners in several ways:
Learner Focus - our Learner Newsletter can be found on our Virtual Learning Environment (Moodle), and is distributed through registers and at centres.
Comments boards - these can be found at our centres at Westgate College, the Heaton Centre and Gosforth Library and Learning Centre. We will respond to your comments with our 'You Said, We Did' posters outlining the changes we have made in response to your views, or explaining where and why we cannot take action.
Learner Voice – this involves the involvement of learners and potential learners in shaping the opportunities that are available to them. Learner Voice activities enable learners to express their views, needs and concerns, and also ensures that organisations respond appropriately to the issues that they raise. We listen to your comments and use the information you give us to improve the standards of Teaching, Learning and Assessment that we deliver.
Survey Monkey – we use Survey Monkey to gather learner feedback by using online questionnaires and analysing the results.
Moodle – this is our Virtual Learning Environment where you can access resources but also engage in discussions with other learners and staff about relevant topics.
Class cancellations and SMS messaging – we use SMS messaging as one of the ways to update our learners, so please give us your mobile number when you enrol.
Learner Liaison – we now have a tutor dedicated to liaise with the learner community and represent the learner voice. If you have any ideas for events, improvements to your learning experience, social activities or you need any advice and guidance, please contact our Learner Liaison Tutor. Please ask at the Westgate reception to find out more.
We aim to:
- Inform learners about their rights and ways to participate in the organisation.
- Consult and seek the views of learners providing feedback on any decision taken.
- Involve staff and learners to work closely together to make sure that all views are understood and taken into account.
- Collaborate to ensure that all decision making is done in partnership with learners and all parties share a common goal and share the drive to reach it.
- Empower by providing training to develop knowledge, skills and abilities so you can control and develop your own learning. We empower learners to work together, set agenda for change and link this into management and decision making